Click to call 602-254-8880 24/7 Click Here for Free Consultation

What steps need to be taken in parental alienation cases?

Parental alienation (PA) can be said to be occurring in cases where one parent communicates in a derogatory manner about the other parent, in a way that affects their children mentally, emotionally or physically. Essentially, one parent engages with the child or children emotionally, sometimes with material things to win the child over and attempt to make the child or children reject the other parent. This type of behavior can cause long lasting damage, sometimes creating cycles of alienation that last through generations in the family.

Should you involve the police in cases of PA?

A fairly large number of attorneys discourage getting the police involved in cases of PA. However, this is only good advice in cases where both parents are legitimately trying to do what is best for the children, but it is entirely possible that one parent is a narcissist who does not have the child/children’s best interests at heart. In cases such as these, it is important to stop the PA before it causes enough damage to the child/children’s psyche to become a syndrome, even if that means involving the police.

Children’s service agencies

Agencies dedicated to children’s welfare are all too aware of what PA is and the damage it can cause. If you feel that your children are going to be harmed as a result of PA, then contact a local agency and explain to them in detail what is happening. If they are convinced that PA is taking place, they will exercise all their resources in protecting your children from it.

Recording conversations

Recording phone calls can be a risk, as recording phone calls without the other party’s consent is a crime in many American jurisdictions. However, in cases of extreme PA, the risk may be worth it. Being able to record a conversation in which one parent threatens the child or encourages the child to disrespect the other parent could enable you to get a restraining order that would put the PA to an end.

Surround yourself with the children’s favorite family members

Children naturally want to feel safe and happy; therefore, it is important that you surround yourself with friends and family members who the children also like to be around. Alienating parents are often loners, as their behaviors have usually pushed away most logical adults. This will be a big advantage for you. Children’s welfare organizations also recognize parents with an intact social circle as better for the children.

Seek witnesses in the community

Members of the community such as neighbors are important sources of assistance. Do not be shy about asking members of the community for assistance. Oftentimes, they will have seen the other parents erratic and unhealthy behavior and the effect it has on your child/children. Specifically, seek out people you know to be good parents, as good parents tend to have a soft spot for all children and will want to help you.

Challenge the other side

Unfortunately, parents who engage in PA often seek out legal firms that encourage alienating behavior. If this is the case, you need to note down and have your lawyer point out all the unethical behavior that the other parent and their legal representation is engaging in and point it out in court.

Click Here for Free ConsultationComparison Questions to Ask when Hiring a Lawyer


10.0 Superb Rating

AV-Highest Rated
Preeminent Lawyers


Super Lawyer
Southwest Super Lawyers®

Top 10 Attorney
National Academy of
Family Law Attorneys

Top 100 Lawyer
American Society of
Legal Advocates

Client Satisfaction Award
American Institute of
Family Law Attorneys

Lifetime Charter Member
Best Attorneys of America

American Association
for Justice

Charter Member
Trial Masters

Sustaining Member
Arizona's Finest Lawyers

Top Valley Lawyer
North Valley Magazine

Member Since 1989
American Bar Association

Sustaining Member
Arizona Trial
Lawyers Association