Definition of contested divorce
A contested divorce case is one in which legally represented spouses cannot agree on the terms of their separation and divorce. Where divorcing spouses are unable to make final decisions about child custody, visitation rights, support, and asset/property division, a judge is needed to pass legal judgment on divorce terms and protect the rights of individuals.
Scottsdale contested divorce
The State of Arizona expects divorcing parties to provide evidence of an “irretrievably broken” marriage for separation and divorce settlement. If you and your spouse are divorcing and not able to reach important decisions together about your children, assets and property, a Scottsdale divorce lawyer can help you protect your rights through the divorce process.
Contested divorce proceedings include:
- Initial filing of a divorce “petition” to notify of intent to divorce a spouse
- Providing the spouse with a “summons” as formal notification of divorce proceedings
- A formal “response” as acknowledgement of the summons by the receiving spouse
- Formal pre-trial court requests through “motions” – example is a restraining order
- Information gathering of supportive evidence through “discovery”, including interviews and depositions
- “Hearings” where a judge makes decisions on interim divorce terms, such as those pertaining to child custody and restraining orders where necessary
- A “trial” presided over by a judge who weighs evidence, testimony and records presented by each spouse’s legal team
- The “judgment” that includes final decisions on divorce terms for the benefit of both parties to formally terminate the marriage contract
Scottsdale contested divorce attorney
Our contested divorce lawyers understand the complexities of divorce cases and how best to handle divorce cases that go to trial. Court proceedings and final divorce judgments may significantly affect the parties involved. Cantor Law Group have over 70 years of combined experience.
Should you be involved in a separation and have difficulty agreeing divorce terms with your spouse, get in touch with us. We have experienced divorce lawyers in Phoenix who specialize in resolving contested divorce cases with beneficial results for clients.
Cantor Law Group are AV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, Member of Arizona’s Finest Lawyers®, and Listed in the bar Register of Pre-Eminent Lawyers®. Our legal team have proven expertise in negotiating the intricacies of contested divorce cases, providing successful outcomes for clients in and around Scottsdale who require strong representation.
Contact a Scottsdale contested attorney for a free consultation on favorable legal resolution of contested terms in your divorce.